Monday, February 14, 2011

Golden Brown, Texture Like Sun

The fuck is that you're playing, Beethoven? Beethoven? BEETHOVEN!


How better to start off this spin-off blog than with the band that produced the best song of all time, The Stranglers. The Stranglers, responsible for such gems as Peaches (featured in the ripper British gangster flick Sexy Beast starring Ben Kingsley, Ray Winstone and Ian McShane), No More Heroes (which included the lyrics "Whatever Happened to Leon Trotsky, he got an ice pick that made his ears burn") and, the best song of all time, as alluded to just moments ago, Golden Brown, were significant players in the British punk scene.

So much for clarity.

For years my friends and I struggled to make sense of the Golden Brown lyric which I now know, through the magic of the web, is "With My Mind She Runs". Simon Turchett and I used to sing "With my mansheeruns". No, it doesn't mean anything.



The guy third from the left refuses to embrace the punk ethos - in fact I think it's uncle Nev


The song is about heroin as far as I know, but at the age of 11 when I first heard it, brilliantly waltzing along to the sound of a harpsichord, I neither knew nor cared. It was just fucken ace. And still is. Harpsichord! Who'd've thought? It neatly paved the way for Beethoven to enjoy punk. The Hold Steady are probably fans too, as they made good use of the harpsichord on their album Stay Positive. Golden Brown was, incidentally, used very effectively in Guy Ritchie's Snatch.


The Fucking GREAT Golden Brown:



No More Heroes:



Golden Brown in Snatch:



The Sexy Beast Trailer without, unfortunately, Peaches:


8 comments:

  1. Of all the music you've posted, Bob, I think I like this the best.

    the ripper British gangster flick Sexy Beast

    When I saw Sexy Beast, a decade ago, I came away thinking it was shit. On reflection, I realise that at least part of that was probably due to the fact that I was trying to drown a massive hangover with homemade ethanol and I should probably give it another go.

    And since this is a music blog, I'll point out that the first of the South By Southwest promotional torrents is up. Almost eight hundred songs from artists I've never heard of, all free and legal to download. Torrents from previous years also available.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Bob. I have to say. I haven't watched even one clip you've posted over at the other joint (no offence) but I come here and I watch them all.

    Golden Brown is fucking GREAT. Watching the clip I can remember it like yesterday. The lyrics, the golden music. Beautiful.

    Snatch - could not understand a word Brad Pitt said in that movie. I knew I'd love it if I could freakin' understand it. Might be time for a revisit with subbies.

    And Ben Kingsley with a cockney accent? Freaksville.

    Thank you. Straight to faves list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurray for the new blog, Bob. Now I can badger you about music electronically instead of via the post.

    Golden Brown is a top, top song. I was bemoaning the harpsichord (just generally) to a friend last week. We came to the conclusion that it's an instrument composers only adopted after they'd become deaf, and more as a kind of musical in-joke than because they actually liked the sound of it.

    But in all our carrying on we forgot about Golden Brown, which is probably the only song that can pull off the harpsichord.

    I've yet to find a song that can make the jazz flute sound any good but.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lurv that Golden Brown song, thanks for digging it out, Lewd. And Trotsky. Not brotsky or crotsky or drotsky or frotsky.But Trotsky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. More foxtrot than waltz, I would have thought Bob - but still, an ace song.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad Golden Brown seems universally appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the new blog...and how coincidental Bob, I've been listening to these guys for the last couple of weeks, with Hanging Around and their brilliant version of Walk on By on repeat. When I listen to Golden Brown, I always feel like I am riding a carousel in the clouds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Obtuse, good to hear from ye. I love Walk on By too. The carousel (which I like to pronounce 'k'rowzel') thing is definitely evident. Also coincidentally I was recently listening to your mixtapes. Lovely. Lovely.

    Note to Kettle: never bemoan the harpsichord.

    ReplyDelete