Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Jerk With a Bomb


Stephen chooses the grey cardy for the photo shoot


Canadian Stephen McBean, a man who lives by just his own rules, is fast becoming a legend. He heads 2 bands: the Black Sabbath/Led Zep/Velvet Underground-inspired Black Mountain and the more trippy and psychedelic Pink Mountaintops (which I suspect is a euphemism for 'tits' given the lyrical content of the first, self-titled album). Each band has released 3 fine albums since 2004. Prior to that McBean called himself Jerk With a Bomb.

McBean.

Son of Bean.

He's touring Australia soon as Black Mountain. I plan to see them at The Corner and expect several songs to run somewhere between 8 and 15 minutes. No doubt some tall bastard will stand in front of me while some drunk girl next to me waves her hands in the air from start to finish. I generally want to kill these people but that wouldn't be right.

While we're on the subject, I would also like to kill people who say 'myself' when they could just say 'me'.

And if you were to knock on someone's door with 2 people called Harry and Joan, and somebody inside yells out "Who is it?", it is correct to answer "Harry, Joan and me." It's not "Harry, Joan and I". You wouldn't answer "I" if it was just you, would you?

"Are you talking to myself?"

"No, I was talking to I."

*

This is the offical video of The Hair Song from Black Mountain's latest Album Wilderness Heart:




This is Angels from their previous album In the Future. Some clown has put clips from the Wim Wenders film Wings of Desire to the song. Such an immature literal translation but, nevertheless, a hell of a film which was remade by Hollywood as fucking City of Angels with fucking Meg Ryan and fucking Nicholas Cage, leaving me aghast:



And No Satisfaction from the self-titled debut with static shot of the album cover:




Finally, here's a picture of an ant:

9 comments:

  1. "The Hair Song" invokes a strange sense of deja-vu; like you've posted it before or something. I thought the "Angels" song was swell. The third one didn't excite me much.

    I went out drinking once with a group that included a person who kept shouting "I" every time someone said "me" - whether it was correct or not. Things got ugly by the end of the night.

    Very occasionally I say "my good self" when "me" would do. What's your views on that?

    Excellent ant and bean pictures, too, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to confess Alex, I have posted The Hair Song before, albeit in a different context, I suppose.

    I've had ugly times correcting people's grammar too - especially when they're so sure they're right. As to 'My Good Self', I like it, as it is a kind of parody.

    I might start a pub called The Ant and Bean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you should change it to "Lewd Bob's Music & Grammar Blog". Y'know, if you don't mind dealing with the extra traffic that sort of thing's sure to bring.

    At least "The Ant And Bean" would have decent music, no? Should be great, so long as you could keep the hipsters out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The grammar thing is nerve-wracking, just in case you accidentally make a mistake.

    I will play Built to Spill's Randy Describes Eternity on Th Ant & Bean's opening day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like jelly beans, but not other beans. I think it's the texture or something.

    I like The Hair Song quite a lot. Angels grew on me. And I quite like No Satisfaction as well.

    I'm not a fan of ants. They eat your food and they don't pay for it. And that's mean. Also, there are bull ants and they sting you and it hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bull ants and green ants are cunts. Fire ants are complete cunting CuntCunts, as are, I believe, Argentine ants (the one in the photo, I think).

    Maybe it should be a sugar ant. Everyone thinks they're cute and cuddly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent. We have a little ant hating society going on here. Bullants are indeed nasty little fuckers as are all those others you bring to mind Alex.

    Beans I love, I just don't understand your hatred EMS. Alex, you win the award for first person to say 'cunt' on my blog. And how.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll take a free counter meal at your fine establishment when it opens, Bob. With beans, if you please.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pfft. Next you'll be trying to tell me peas aren't evil or something ridiculous like that.

    ReplyDelete